digitaltempest

Lois McMaster Bujold
Batman: The Night of the Owls
Nightwing, Vol. 2: Night of the Owls
Kyle Higgins, Eddy Barrows, Ruy Jose
Never Give in to Fear: Laughing All the Way Up From Rock Bottom - Marti MacGibbon I read this book completely on whim. It was one of the free Kindle eBooks being offered on Amazon's site recently. Normally, I probably wouldn't have read/bought a book like this unless it came highly recommended from people that have similar reading tastes as I do. However, since it was free, there was no real risk involved, so I figured that I might as well read it.

I'm not very familiar with Marti MacGibbon. I've only read blurbs about her here and there. Usually when I'm not familiar with the person whose autobiography/memoirs I plan to read, I put them off for a slow reading day. However, the promise of this book dealing with addiction, human trafficking, and eventual redemption are part of the reasons that I went ahead and started this rather than shelving it for another time. I'm a sucker for redemption stories.

Marti's humorous telling of her story is filled with dark, wry humor that often comes off a bit self-deprecating, which is a little different. Often, former addicts tend to come off a little preachy. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it can be a bit off-putting when you just want to read a real, raw story, which is what Marti presents in her book. Her struggle with her addiction and wanting to be a good mother to her daughter presented an interesting angle to her story as well.

She says addiction and denial made her believe that she was in control of her life for so long, even when all the signs said she wasn't. Quite simply put, I'm amazed at everything she went through and how she found the strength to carry on even after a near-debilitating addiction and being sold into sex slavery by an acquaintance. She is very fortunate because so many women in her same condition are not here to tell their stories today.

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. My heart really ached for her as I read this. It was almost like reading a confession from a friend rather than an account of her life. The writing was personable and engaging, even if parts of it were a little repetitive. Much of this book focused on her downward fall rather than her eventual redemption. I wouldn't recommend this if you're a person who is easily triggered, though, since she is very candid about her drug abuse and various dangerous situations she's found herself in.