digitaltempest

Lois McMaster Bujold
Batman: The Night of the Owls
Nightwing, Vol. 2: Night of the Owls
Kyle Higgins, Eddy Barrows, Ruy Jose
A Day No Pigs Would Die - Robert Newton Peck went into this with a Dandelion Wine mentality. I expected another story about a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood and childhood. This story was that and much more. The story focuses around Robert. A twelve-year-old boy living on a farm in Vermont. He acquires a pig, which he loves because it is his, and well, his father butchers pigs for a living.

This book was just a little over 100 pages, and it is classified as a "children's book", but this book packs an awful powerful punch to be children's book. So many questions come to mind while reading that book. Religion, familial relationships, politics. I found the story very touching, and my eyes even misted over because of a scene or two. I don't know if Peck meant for the book to be this way, but it is.

In relating to Banned Books Week, I could see why some of the subject matter would get someone a little upset. I didn't so much care about the word "bitch", which wasn't used in a derogatory nature. There was a very graphic scene dealing with pigs mating. I mean, I wouldn't demand that schools stop reading this. Even in the "rape" of the pig, there's something to be learned. You can't just shield kids from things like this. Hell, they've probably heard/seen/read a lot worse than a graphic scene involving two pigs.