digitaltempest

Lois McMaster Bujold
Batman: The Night of the Owls
Nightwing, Vol. 2: Night of the Owls
Kyle Higgins, Eddy Barrows, Ruy Jose
Dark Thirst - Angela C. Allen (Editor),  Donna Hill,  Omar Tyree,  Monica Jackson,  The Urban Griot,  Kevin S. Brockenbrough,  Linda Addison Finally, a vampire anthology that I can really sink my teeth into. No pun intended. This is a collection of vampire stories written about vampires of color by black authors. Lately, I've found myself mostly disappointed in vampire anthologies, but this one was well worth my time (and money). Even the foreword was fascinating, chronicling the black vampire through history.

The Ultimate Diet by Monica Jackson (5/5)
An overweight computer programmer who longs to be thin thinks she's finally found the perfect solution to her weight loss problem when her new neighbor moves in. This story was very funny. It almost seem parody-like, poking fun of the lengths some women will go to to be thin.

Vamp Noir by Angela C. Allen (5/5)
A vampire finds herself the enforcer of a mob family after being exiled from her clan. This was probably my favorite story because it combined two of my favorite things -- vampires and the mafia. There isn't much more I can say about the story without giving it all away.

Human Heat: The Confessions of an Addicted Vampire by Omar Tyree, writing as The Urban Griot (3/5)
This story revolves around a creole vampire who was turned in New Orleans. This vampire finds himself yearning the blood of virgins, which is particularly potent to vampires, making them do all kinds of crazy stuff to do it. This story was okay. I liked the vampire's back story more than his current day one.

Whispers During Still Moments by Linda Addison (5/5)
A vampire hunter who's half vampire is in the business of battling old vampires known as "The Firsts." Along the way, he meets another vampire hunter who he falls in love with and finds himself ready to tear all hell down for her. I really liked this story, 'nuff said.

The Touch Donna Hill (4/5)
A female vampire must find her human mate (who she has to turn) before her time runs out. You know, I liked this story not so much because it's a vampire story, but because the sense "touch" played a major part in the story, and the authoress did a wonderful job in expressing that.

The Family Business by Kevin S. Brockenbrough (5/5)
A story that takes place in the 'hood, ya'll. ;D It's basically about a family who has a supernatural secret that's passed down from generation to generation. The heroine of the story is dealing with a husband who's abusing his wife until sister girl gets raw and unleashes the beast. I loved this!

Overall, this was an excellent collection of vampire stories. Much better than many other vampire themed anthologies I own.