digitaltempest

Lois McMaster Bujold
Batman: The Night of the Owls
Nightwing, Vol. 2: Night of the Owls
Kyle Higgins, Eddy Barrows, Ruy Jose
The Stranded, Volume 1 - Mike Carey, Siddharth Kotian Recommended this series because I recently read Eat the Dead, which is printed by Virgin Comics, as well. Siddharth Kortian wrote and illustrated that book, and his named was attached to this project, too. However, he was only the illustrator here. The story was written by Mike Carey.

Alien refugees are in hiding on Earth. But they have no memory of their former lives or the powers they possess. Now, they’re being hunted and killed. Tamree is the only person from their home who remembers everything, and she has been tasked with keeping the others (called Sleepers) safe. Realizing that she’s not going to be able to save the Sleepers alone, she begins waking them and restoring their memories.

This was a Virgin/SyFy collaboration. If Heroes and X-Men had a baby, this would probably be the result. I’d read that it was supposed to have been made into a television series, and honestly, it’s the perfect story for that format. This television show based on this hasn’t happened yet (as far as I can tell), and this book ends on a cliffhanger, of course. However, I haven’t been able to find a continuation to this, so I’m assuming one wasn’t written which is a shame.

The story moved fast, but was still able to give a glimpse of the characters’ personalities before they became Sleepers. It was a typical sci-fi story. It was a solid story that laid the ground for this series. And I have to applaud them for leaving some things to the imagination (like wondering what Dzin really looked like after she mentioned that it’d turn Tamree’s stomach if she revealed her true form).

While I thought the story was usual of the genre, I liked how they played around with familiar powers giving them something a little different, like having Drum being able to break his shields into shards that can slice and having Cullen’s ability to absorb the powers and feelings of other help to mask him from Janus and Dzin because they’re unable to “read” him.

There were parts of the story that were a little unclear to me and seemed to go against everything that was happening in the book. And the ending wasn’t quite what I expected, but that’s only because it contradicted what happened during most of the story. I could’ve missed something, though. I expected a twist for the ending, but it played out differently than what I’d thought.

Overall, I enjoyed the story, but I’m highly disappointed that there aren’t more comics. I was looking forward to reading more about different Sleepers and their powers.